Adventures in TRUGLO and what's in your pocket?



Recently I had a little trouble with my TRUGLO sights on my .40 S&W Sig.  The front light pipe had come loose.

I was about to affect a home fix with a tube of super glue when I decided to contact TRUGLO.  At their urging I sent them my slide (saving me the cost of having the front site removed and then reinstalled) and they said they could fix it and would check the rear sight as well.  Sounded like a great idea to me.

They also advised insuring the slide for about half the price of the Sig.  I hadn’t thought of that but I also got a tracking number.  I really don’t expect much of the tracking number other than to prove the post office received my package and sent it on its way.  Hopefully if it got lost/stolen the insurance would be sufficient to get a new slide.

TRUGLO returned my slide to me the other day.  They fixed the front sight.  
Truglo replace and updated my nightsights
Low light - easy to find.  Seeing your sights in the dark - PRICELESS!

And now all three sights glow in the dark.  I suspect they replaced all three pipes.  I’ve got to admit, seeing my sights in low light is a great feeling.  I can honestly recommend TRUGLO and their sights.

I also just got two new pocket holsters for my Taurus TCP from DeSantis Gunhide. http://www.desantisholster.com/

I bought the Nemesis, which was highly recommended to me, and the Super Fly.  I confess, I fell for the advertisement on the website.  I had a chance to try the Nemesis and it worked in some of my pockets quite well, but in others it wasn’t so hot.  The pocket, depending on its cut, size and tightness of the pants, sometimes let the holster turn sideways or allowed the holster to partially come out of the pocket.

super fly and Nemesis with Taurus pocket .380
Super Fly on left, the original Nemesis on right, my Taurus on top
The Super Fly has a Velcro-attached masking 'shield' that stabilizes and hides the holster and the gun’s profile.  The shield can be removed and the holster looks like the Nemesis, but with a different surface.  
  
The two holsters give me options and like my friend Rick says, “I like options.”

It doesn't fit in my pocket but I took my Czechoslovakian CZ-52 out and ran a few rounds through it.  It’s chambered for the coke bottle 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge.  It’s reported (Wikipedia, where else?) this cartridge in this gun will penetrate a NIJ level II vest.  

I didn’t buy it for that.  I bought it because it is roller locked operated.  That’s the same system the Germans used in their WWII MG42 (7.62x57 Mauser) and their more recent MG3 (7.62x51 NATO) machine gun.  


The Czechoslvakian  CZ-52 with mag and ammo
It's a beast, but most people can control it quite well.

Does it recoil much?  Well, the empty gun weighs around 2 pounds and despite the non-ergonomic design, I don’t think the recoil is too bad.  It’s the sights that are really terrible, very small and hard for my older eyes to find.

The European and Russian perspective was, and seems to be, handguns are for very close personal combat but are more of an officer identification/status badge. 

It’s fun to shoot and the ammo is still easy to find.  I have two magazines and I believe they each hold 8 rounds.  The trigger isn’t what you would consider great, but I hit my targets at 30 feet.   

I’m pretty happy with it!

Comments