Blue Light

Blue lights to support the police



Every once in a while I hear an idea that just stops me in my tracks.  Chiefly because it is so wrong.

I just heard (from one source) that people were displaying blue lights on their houses to tell the police that there is a firearm present.  When I advised the person this wasn’t required by state law, I was informed that it will make it safer for police.  How this occurs wasn’t explained to me.

This is at odds to all the websites I visited.  They claim it is to show solidarity with the police.  That makes much more sense to me. 

But having a public indicator that a firearm is present/stored at this location is stupid.
One: It tells criminals that your house is a one stop shop for guns and ammunition.
Two: Any police officer entering a dwelling and doesn’t suspect weapons are present is a fool.
Three: Why would you want to share that information with anyone?

To me this is the stationary version of having a “Driver doesn’t carry more than $50 in ammunition” bumper sticker on your car.  Why ask for trouble?

Yes, feel free to fly a flag, post a sign or light a light to show your support of the police.  But if the promotion is to mark guns, I wouldn’t do it.
 
You’re free to do it and that’s to my benefit.  They’ll break into your house, not mine.

Comments