Match Thoughts

The 1911 .45 ACP is been described as the premiere gun fighting tool to which all others are compared and king of the feed ramp jam.  That is why I don’t carry a 1911 .45ACP.  

But they are fun to shoot.  There are few legal pleasure greater than hammering steel plates with a 1911 .45.

1911 Only
I recently shot a Single Stack Classic at a local range.  Considering the difficulties, it was a great match.  The difficulties?  Recent renovations and a very wet spring and summer have left one range too swampy to use.  But that’s another topic.

.45 ACP match
Everything you could ask for, steel,  hostages and shoot targets


Most of the targets were relatively close, just over 10 yards in distance.  These are distances most of us non-law enforcement and non-combat citizens will find our conflicts limited to.  Still, it’s not a bad idea to assure yourself you can hit at longer distances.  While I don’t expect to slug it out with a rifleman at 100 yards, 20 yards isn’t unreasonable.  Next time you’re at the range see what kind of group you can shoot at 20 yards with your carry gun.


.45 acp match
Weak hand only

The match had a variety of CoF which were at times complex.  For those of us who routinely double tap every target we see as we pie a corner, the instructions could trip you up.  One string required that each target of four targets get one shot before returning to the first target to shoot it a second time.  This was the reef I kept sailing into.

Despite my poor performance, I like it because forcing your mind to step outside your habits is good for the armed citizen.


.45 ACP match
Shoot three targets off each star and knock over the tombstone poper

 Double taps vs boarding house rules (Everyone gets one before seconds)
I once watched Ken Hackathorn demo the timed difference between shooting a double tap on two side-by-side targets or shooting each one once and then a second time.  Both strings resulted in two rounds in the center of mass and the time difference was in the hundreds of a second.  Not enough to affect your survival.

But Ken knew there were only two targets.  What if there were four? Would the time difference become significant?  Would the elapsed time required to giving two rounds to each of three assailants, as compared to one round each, make a difference to a fourth assailant?  One of the question you want to ponder is "Does an armed and wounded assailant become easier to deal with or not?"

What if you didn’t know how many, but suspect more than one assailant?  What if you dropped your reload going out the door and all you had was what’s in your fist? 

I’m suggesting, especially to myself, don’t let ridged concepts involving tactical shooting prevent you from seeing opportunities and potential.


The things you see

Just wrong
Do what you want dude, but that's just wrong.
I’m a little dogmatic on some things.  Extra magazines should be carried weak side, base plate up and bullet tips forward.  Experience has taught me that a second (or third) magazine carried on the strong side has advantages, like when your weak side is jammed against cover and those magazines are blocked.  Still, I ran into a shooter who carried them facing backwards bullet tips down.  You can do whatever you want, but that’s just plain wrong.

Holsters
Kydex holsters
My newest holster   Anyone who doesn't have several holsters for each gun just doesn't get out enough!
I just got new holsters from Ricky’s Holsters.   I got one for my Springfield Champion 1911 in gray Kryptek Kydex as well as a double mag carrier.  They are very cool and Ricky does amazing work.  There is a high level of attention to detail and a deep interest to make sure you get what you want.  I wanted blue rivets and that’s what I got.  I purchased one in black earlier for my Glock with a gun light.  It’s larger than most of his holsters, but it really fits my need.

Translucent holster for Springfield 1911
Translucent!  It really shows off the gun!


My wife is an early adopter (well, maybe not) but she had a holster and double mag carrier made for her Springfield 1911 from transparent kydex. 

Translucent magazine carriers

They are stunning!  It sure answers the question “What’s in your holster?”

Visit Ricky at:

https://www.facebook.com/Rickysholsters/

Comments