Springs


There are a few things in life I dislike.  Filling the gas tank is one of them; another is buying recoil replacement springs for my handguns.

I was going to say there are few things more important than replacing recoil springs, but any tiny amount of thought will clearly indicate that’s not true.  I would not even begin to list the things that are truly important.

However, for optimal firearm function, replacement of recoil springs is important.  Big, rich resource organizations and high speed/no drag organizations (FBI, SEALs, compulsive gun writers….) track the number of rounds each weapon fires and have a maintenance program which includes spring replacement.  A truly prepped survivalist would have at least two spare components for every replaceable component, including springs.  As Sven Olsen taught me, two is one, one is none.

So it was not a surprise that one of Karen’s 1911 .45 ACP pistols started having feeding problems.  I suspected it was probably due to a light recoil spring (after 11 years!).  I don’t keep a lot of replacement parts but a quick call to Wolff Company, got me a 16-pound factory load recoil spring. 

Two springs the longer on from Wolff
The bottom, longer spring is from Wolff.  The top shorter one is the old one.

I replaced and even without testing, I’m confident the spring will solve her feeding problem.

It’s part of being an armed citizen.  Knowing what the maintenance checks are and knowing where to get replacement parts.

Comments