Stocking Stuffers


Tactical is an overused word.

For the tactical guy or gal
Look what Santa left in my stocking!
Paint it black, write tactical on the label and you can charge at least double for it.  And some mall commando will buy it.

I’m often reminded of the warning given by the State Department, companies and travel agencies to people traveling in foreign and potentially dangerous destinations like Beirut, Rome and New York.  Be boring they say.  Don’t travel in your best and newest clothing.  Wear worn shoes, an older simple watch and older comfortable clothing.  The newest iPhone may be trivial to you at home, but it marks you as a rich target in Romania.

So I see function of tactical as blending in.  I want to approach the idea of items we consider necessary or tactical as things that don’t call attention to you.  To paraphrase Patrick Swayze in “Road House” be unnoticed until it’s time to be noticed.

So here’s a few Christmas stocking stuffers that don’t scream Ninja Tactical Warrior.

Photon Micro-light II
Makes a great zipper pull or hideaway light. 

CRKT Minimalist neck knife
Wear it under your shirt or sweater and it’s invisible.  It’s also pocket friendly in a variety of ways. 

Streamlight Microstream
Powered by a single ubiquitous AAA battery you can wear this clipped several places.  I wear mine clipped to my shirt by my open collar.  The clip lets you turn it into a hat light when you need both hands free.

S&W Delta Force CS Flashlight
This one almost didn’t make the list, because of the name.  But the higher output powered by a CR123 battery and the crenulated bezel won the day.  More light and a way of collecting DNA too!

Spyderco Delica folding knife
Delicas are almost as common as mosquitos in summer.  Nobody notices them.  Get the partially serrated blade.  Serrations cut like nobody’s business even when they are dull. 

DMT Ceramic and Carbide sharpener
I don’t like pull-through sharpeners with fixed angles, but with both course and fine in a 3 inch bar this will get you sharp when you need to be.

Southern Specialties Folding Pocket Set 7P
It’s a small lightweight lock pick kit built on a folding knife frame complete with tension rod.  It comes in black, gray and pink.  It will draw attention to you when you use it, but it’s small and hides in a pocket or a sock top.

CAT Tourniquet
There’s a lot of cheap ones out there, so get a good one as life is on the line when you need one.  They are small and fit in a jacket or pants pocket. 

Timex Analog Wrist watch
It tells time, has a sweep second hand and a window with the date in it.  What else do you really need a watch for?  If I was traveling in New York City, that’s what I would be wearing after I scuffed the band a bit.

Zippo Typhoon Match Kit
I never understood why I needed the ability to make fire in my urban environment.  It’s not that I’ll escape to some abandoned building and need to make a fire for light or warmth.  I’m not sure I’d want to advertise my presence or lose my night vision sitting around a fire fueled by broken furniture.  Still, fire is one of those universals tools we never want to be without.   The country traveler is another story.  Shelter could be a slanted rock wall and fire a way of being found.

Opinel locking knife
It doesn’t get much simpler.  It’s a kitchen utility knife with a metal blade in a wooden handle.  Open the blade and twist the metal collar until the blade is blocked from folding.  It’s almost a foolproof way of turning a folder into a fixed blade.  Get the plastic handle as it doesn’t absorb water and swell like wood.

All Weather Rite in the Rain
These notebooks come in a variety sizes from soft cover 48 page booklets to hard cover 8 by 11 notebooks.  I’d pair that up with a Fisher space pen.  Try the black finished Bullet Pen.  It’s small and easy, perfect for sitting in the rain recording comings and goings or making a grocery list.

Timberline Lightfoot Combat Pen
I never needed to stab someone with a pen, but I’m not you.  It has nice lines and your co-workers won’t think you’re Jason Bourne.

Victorinox Tinker
Everyone needs a Swiss Army knife.  I’d suggest the Tinker with bottle and can opener, two blades and screwdrivers.  TSA will not let you carry it on board, but nobody else will think twice about it.  Replace the toothpick with a firestarter rod from Tortoise and that’s one hell of a tool.

So there’s my list.  These things can give you the edge without calling attention to yourself.  

Comments