Answer Me This....


Question of the Day: What is technology’s role for today’s shootist?

Technology is changing basic tools.  The Sig Aiming System with DBX might be the perfect example.  For us knuckle draggers, the Sig range finder communicates its information to your smart phone which, based on information you provide, estimates bullet drop.  These results are bluetoothed to your scope which displays a lit dot as your point of aim.  I’ve been told that a weather companion is under development to provide information on temperature, wind speed and direction, atmospheric pressure and altitude.  Someday the gun will fire itself after you 'authorize the shot.'

Of course the caveat not mentioned is your data has to be rigorously correct.  It’s got to be the same lot of ammo every time so the ballistic coefficient as well as muzzle velocity remain constant.  I suspect there are other variables as well.  Best performance will come from constantly testing and redefining your data.

Recently I’ve read about smart OC spray.  When you discharge the spray, it bluetooths your smart phone which calls the police with your coordinates and reports your problem.

gear
So pick the three things absolutely critical to this weapon's function.

 At any gun range you can see examples of oversized magazine releases and weighted extended magazines.  Pistols can be “funnelized” to facilitate a fast reload.  You can find videos of people doing a slide forward magazine exchange in 0.75 seconds.

Trigger jobs and dots are not the sole purview of the bullseye competitor.  Reflex dots are showing up as daily carry as are exotic muzzle brakes and B.A.D. levers on AR platforms.  You can “compact” your AR by using an adjustable stock and adding a special adaptor to “fold” your rifle.

Suppressors are another example.  In their most basic form, they slow and cool the expanding gas to reduce the “BANG!” associated with firing a gun.  While closely regulated, unfairly in my opinion, they beg the question, “To what advantage? What do these technology driven devices accomplish for us?

future Gun, Future Pistol
I'm just wondering where the holographic dot is?

I’m not suggesting we retreat to muzzle-loading black powder pistols.  But what function does a USB rechargeable and Morse code programmable flashlight serve?

 
From the armed citizen perspective, which is the only one I can truly claim, I can cover 90 percent of my anticipated needs with an S&W model 66, dump pouch and a pocket flashlight.

But I can accomplish it better with a diode flashlight, a speed strip and the S&W 66.

That I think, is the key.

Chasing technology for its own sake is fun, expensive and often futile.  Almost as soon as you purchase the latest, something better comes out.  For the shootist, the person who intends to utilize their tools, I suggest answering the question: “What will help me best accomplish my goals without unnecessary encumbrance?”

WTAF?!?

D
oes technology replace skill?

One of the early self-defense courses I’ve taken found me competing with a new owner of a Wilson custom 1911 .45ACP, which he had just purchased.  It was an excellent gun, finely made and certainly more accurate than the out of the box Beretta I shoot.  I expected him to shoot better than I did.

We tell little lies.  ‘I’m here just to learn’ or ‘I’m competing against myself for fun,’ but we all are driven to win.  Winning might be defined that day as not the last rank or anywhere above the half way mark but we all want to win.

I did well in that class.  He did not.  In fact, he didn’t do well at all.  Despite a superior tool or better technology he lacked the skill set. 

Here too we can find an answer about technology.  Technology can supplement lost physical ability.  The ability to move a trigger group to better fit the owner’s hand is amazing.  Adding a reflex dot to a handgun, while it requires additional training, makes up for the lost of visual ability from age.

The future of guns
Is this the future?  For my eyes perhaps.

So I think my premise is valid.  Use technology to assist you in accomplishing your task without providing unnecessary encumbrance.

Comments