Recognize it?

Recognize it?

I found it lying on the street like a drunk curled up to a signpost

I found it on August 27 on Akron's High Street.  I was at the library researching shoe knives, and I decided to walk down to a local brewery, Akronym.

I first thought it was a crumpled piece of copper-colored foil.  But a second glance told me differently.

This is a 9mm — a damaged 9mm from striking a hard object.  I didn't think it was a prank from somebody with a slingshot or a great pitching arm who launched the round against one of the brick structures.

I could see lands and grooves.  It could have only been fired from a gun.


A damaged 9mm FMJ


So how did it end up on a sidewalk in downtown Akron?

I think it is an up-and-down.  Someone shooting their gun into the sky for some less than intelligent reason.  A celebration, a warning shot, just showing off, who knows?

Let me remind you of the Law of Gravity:  what goes up must come down.  When you shoot a gun into the air, the bullet doesn't go into orbit, hit the moon, or get teleported by aliens. The round lands somewhere.   We have always understood that.  I know you know the much-bowdlerized version of Longfellow’s “The Arrow and the Song”:

“I shot an arrow into the air,

It fell to earth, I knew not where.”

Firing a warning shot is almost universally considered a bad idea.  It is a waste of effort, time, and potentially needed ammunition.  A jury could consider it an act of aggression or simple indifference to human life and suffering, as the returning bullet has killing force.  You don't want either one associated with your claim of self-defense.

Firing a gun skyward is an out-and-out violation of the top five NRA rules.  You may not like the NRA, but their rules are the gold standard.  Rounds skyward are simply a violation of:

Rule 1 Always point the gun in a safe direction.

Rule 4 Know your target and what is beyond.

Since you are reading this, you should know that, so take this as a reminder.  You may be with people who shoot at the weather or think firing a gun makes them somehow extraordinary.  Tell them this is a bad idea and why.  If they don't care, finding new friends might be in your best interest.  You don't want to find yourself in court because of the group's actions.

Comments