The J-Frame

With the arrival of spring many of us go through a change.  I do.

During the winter I could carry a larger gun in public because I wore vest, coats, sweaters, and the rest of winter wear.  But with the warm days of summer arriving, that must change.

Ohio has open carry, which I think is dead dick stupid, with a side of numbnuts.  I don’t want to be noticed.  I don’t want to attract attention,  I want to be the classic victim selection question mark, “Does he, or doesn’t he?”


I've carried a J-Frame for years

One solution to summer carry is the J-frame carried in an ankle holster.  Five rounds of .38 Special tucked into a hard to shoot package.  Stings your hand?  Yes, but not as much on the receiving side.  Small sights?  Yes, it takes practice to shoot it well.  

Only a .38 Special?  Nobody shot with a modern .38 Special with hollow points has complained they weren’t shot enough.

I work with 8 X 10-inch steel targets at 15 yards.  Success, for me, is defined as dumping all five rounds on to the steel in as short of a time as I can.  It is still a work in progress.

That's 15 yards or 45 feet.  If you can rapidly hit a 8X10 target at that distance you are doing okay!

All we can do is fall back on police studies; they are after all, the people who collect this information.  The FBI/NYPD/Cleveland PD/ and others indicate the majority of fights are at spitting distances and a limited number of exchanges.

Only five rounds?  Yup.  I don’t anticipate a protracted gun battle.  Every video I’ve seen of an armed encounter has everyone disappears with the first shot, including the shooter.  I don’t have to arrest him, just stop the carnage.  But I still practice speed strip reloads.

Slow draws?  Yes.  There are procedures to cut the time down.  You can shoot from the kneeling position, saving the time required to stand up.  The more important one is getting your hand on the gun in anticipation of trouble.  This rule applies to all guns.

Practice makes for improved performance.  Get out and get to the range.


Comments