So, you want to be a paperback writer? Great!
I've got a little something for all
the writers out there. If you've been to
the range in the last month or follow my blog, I'm not going to say anything
new. Go cut the grass or have drink with
friends. Nothing here for you. But if you’re a writer, established with
publishing houses or just trying to get noticed, this is for you. Sit back and let's have some fun.
Firearms are often misused by your
characters. Sometimes it's how you are
driving your story, but when they make a glaring mistake, you go down a notch
with those of us who know better.
From the amazing team of Preston
and Child we read, "-popped the clip from the gun." That tells us the
character has a semiautomatic handgun.
Clip is the wrong term, it should be magazine, but it’s a tiny "oops"
and we'll ignore it. Especially in light
of this: "Empty. That left him only
two shots in the chamber…thirteen rounds wasted."
| Two semi-auto barrels, one chamber per barrel |
Chambers are what hold the cartridge. With semi-autos the chamber is the back of the barrel. One barrel, one chamber, period. You can't have two cartridges in a single chamber. Unless your character is shooting a double barrel handgun, and I know of only one modern one. The character has one in the magazine and one in the chamber.
| A little .22 magnum revolver with 5 chambers |
Revolvers are a little different. Here you could have anywhere, depending on the brand, from 5 to 8 chambers. Each chamber rotates in front of a forcing cone that is the back end of the barrel before it fires. Remember Dirty Harry? "Did I fire five or six times…" Yeah, that’s the idea.
Another author, I won't bother with
name, has a character feeling in the dark
for a dropped Glock and when found, checks to make sure the safety is
off. Glocks don't have that kind of safety. In fact, the only safety on a Glock is a
little lever built into the trigger that blocks the firing pint from striking
the cartridge or round if dropped. Your
finger on the trigger automatically deactivates it. If you need a safety to build drama, use a
Berretta 92F. It has a decocker and
safety built in to one lever. After you
deactivate the decocker/safety, you could thumb cock the gun. I also suggest a Sig Sauer. They have so many variations of the same gun
you can find one that fits your needs.
Guns come in different calibers. That’s the diameter of the bullet and barrel
bore. A small handgun could be a .380,
not typically a .38. A .38 is a larger cartridge
typically written as .38 special or abbreviated, spl. A .380
should be a .380 ACP for Automatic Colt Pistol, regardless of the gun.
| The left is a .380 ACP while the right is a .38 spl. Not interchangeable.. |
| Same cartridges. The .380 ACP is 0.356 inch in diameter while the .38 spl is 0.357 inch. More differences Both are hollow points. |
I don't know anyone who would carry
a .25 ACP pistol as their primary weapon.
It is such an underperforming round, and chances are you'll only make
your target angry. I'd carry a small .22
long rifle rimfire before I'd carry a .25 ACP.
Editors shouldn't let writers arm their characters with .25 ACP. Google it if you don't believe me.
No cop would leave home, much less
the station without checking that their handgun is loaded. They don't get out of the car and then load
their guns. A semi-auto with an empty
chamber is an unloaded gun. If you want to
drive the suspense, have them check the magazine and reinsert it in the gun.
Does your character carry a spare
magazine or reloads? That’s your
call. I know a national trainer who
typically leaves home without a reload.
I know others that never leave home without a spare gun and
reloads. Up to you.
Look, it's your story. There are going to be plot holes and things
that are unusual. Making basic handgun
mistakes discredits you and weakens the necessary suspension of disbelief.
Comments
Post a Comment